Saturday 7 July 2012

7th July 1812: General Maitland shares his doubts about Joseph Barrowclough with the Home Secretary

Manchester 12 OCl
PM
July 7th

My dear Lord

The man that was Seized as I wrote Mr. Beckett in my last communication has at last began to speak out

This has produced in various Quarters that Species of little Jealousy which over anxiety on the one Hand – for the near good of public Service generates, and on the other the Situation of Magistrates naturally authorises. Upon this Part of the Subject I shall have occasion to trouble your Lordship hereafter. It may occasion as it does me much uneasiness at the moment, but it must be very immaterial indeed to the public Cause.

The information of this man extremely imperfect in itself as far as it goes, is still of some importance, I neither admire the Hands in whom it is now placed, nor do I for my own part, at present See much real Information: further than in regard to the Depots of arms and with respect to the Murder of Mr Horsfall.

I shall however tomorrow be at the bottom of all this, and Substantiate the truth of the Information that is given, by a general Search for all Depots of arms &c in executing which, I shall be extremely assisted by Mr. Hay who will issue the necessary Warrants.

The most important part of this communication hangs upon this being the first instance of the Ringleaders of Yorkshire being got at, which makes it in itself extremely Valuable and is the Source of a considerable part of what I have mentioned in the second paragraph of this letter, and into which I shall enter fully tomorrow.

They are still getting Information from the man, but I cannot delay sending this off without detaining the mail, which I don't like.

I have other Reasons the thinking the Conduct of the French prisoners is extremely incorrect.

I am [etc]
T Maitland

Lord Viscount Sidmouth
&c &c &c

This letter can be found at HO 42/125.

No comments:

Post a Comment