Wednesday 12 September 2012

12th September 1812: General Maitland reports arrests in the West Riding to the Home Office

Wakefield
12 Sept. 1812
1 oClock PM.

My dear Sir

Since I wrote you this Morning, I have received the enclosed, which I send in the original. It is from Lawson. The Date must be [illegible] & you will be able to find out in fact if the Post Mark is Dublin.

I shall send to Liverpool tomorrow to watch him.

I have the satisfaction too, to inform you, that in the course of last night, in consequence of Information given at Huddersfield, we seized in this Neighbourhood three men, but a fourth escaped.

This seems to me to be a fair opening to get into the Nest of Villains, and presents by much the best chance I have hitherto seen of getting into the Thing here.

They do not appear however to be Luddites, but a mere Gang of Plunderers.

I have further the satisfaction of stating, that we last night seized 6 Men at Halifax against whom I have had information for a length of time, I think this too, will end in much good, for you may rely upon it that nothing but this kind of Work will clear the Augean Stable.

Ever
Yours
T Maitland

Enclosed is the summary of the Proceedings upon which the men in this neighbourhood have been taken up.

J: Becket Esqr
&c &c &c

This letter can be found at HO 42/127.

No comments:

Post a Comment