Wednesday 26 March 2014

26th March 1814: Joseph Nadin writes to the Home Office again about his expenses

Sir

Your Letter of the 3d. Instant was duly Received at this Office, but being at the Assizes has prevented me from writing you sooner, I hope you will excuse the Liberty I have taken being a total Stranger to you, and have to thank you for your endeavours to get my Account settled with the Treasury, I assure you that there is not one Item in my accounts that I have charged a penny more than it cost me, the Riots prevailed almost all round Manchester at the same Time, and not one Constable of those Townships would assist, I had no other Resource but the Military, I seldom went out with less than 26 to 30 of the Grays for nights together to apprehend those charged with Rioting, the number of Men Horses and Assistants Expenses were considerably more than I charged in my Bill, A Coach could not be obtained for the usual Sum and was very hard to get at any price, I can positively say that I paid more by sixty pounds than was charged in my Accounts. I treated the Greys with that Respect I thought they deserved, and I am sorry I had it not in my power to do more than I did for I cannot say too much in their praise, the Expences of witnesses at the Assizes when compared with others Bills I trust will be thought reasonable and all the other Sums were paid by order of the Magistrates with Respect to the Luddites tried at Derby warrants were specially directed to me and sent by Saml. Frith Esqr. of Bank near Chapel le Frith, one of his Majesty’s Justices of the peace for the County of Derby to desire me to apprehend them and that I should be handsomely paid for my Trouble, the County of Derby did allow me some of my Expences and for Loss of Time I could say I was nothing out of pocket, the Rewards and Tickets were received by Mr. Shaw the Solicitor who undertook the prosecution I never had one penny of the Rewards General Maitland desired me to send two Men over into yorkshire to get twisted in, McDonald and Goslin were sent by me and in a few days they were twisted in and five of the Men were transported at york special Commission, the General told me if the Men did their duty they should be liberally paid, I did pay them their Expences and something for Loss of Time but not as much as they could get at home by half a Guinea a week and they have been out of work Six Months since which is very hard for them. General Maitland told John Silvester Esqr. one of our Magistrates if we would find the Men he would find the money. I paid all in the first Instance and charged him with a part, I had to try Experiments in the neighbourhood of Manchester to get others twisted in where I paid Sums of Money amounting to 35£ which was never charged in any Account because I did not succeed, I do think if you was to ask the Solicitors of the Bank of England they will say that they have employed me for fifteen years and they never found any Fault with my Charges, they have entrusted me with all their secret Business here which has been very considerable and I flatter myself they will say I have given them general Satisfaction and they always have rewarded me accordingly, I think it my duty to apprise you that all Trades in the Manufactory of this neighbourhood again meet in different Societys But I believe they are forming Combinations against their Masters to raise their wages, the weavers met about 500 last Tuesday Evening at Shaw Brow near this Town, I shall be very much obliged if you will have the Goodness to say on whom I may draft the Amount of my Bill

I am
Sir
Your very Humble Servant
Joseph Nadin

Manchester
Police Office
March 26th 1814

This letter can be found at HO 42/138. A letter from the Treasury sent on 28th March 1814 (also at HO 42/138) authorised the Home Office to pay Nadin £300.

No comments:

Post a Comment